22. Dube SR, Anda RF, Felitti VJ, Chapman DP, Giles WH. Childhood Abuse, Neglect, and Household Dysfunction and the Risk of Illicit Drug Use: The Adverse Childhood Experiences Study. Pediatrics 2003; 111: 564-572.
23. Whitfield CL, Anda RF, Dube SR, Felitti VJ. Violent Childhood Experiences and the Risk of Intimate Partner Violence in Adults: Assessment in a Large Health Maintenance Organization. Journal of Interpersonal Violence 2003; 18:166-185.
24. Dong M, Anda RF, Dube SR, Giles WH, Felitti VJ. The Relationship of Exposure to Childhood Sexual Abuse to Other Forms of Abuse, Neglect, and Household Dysfunction during Childhood. Child Abuse and Neglect 2003; 27: 625-639.
25. Dube SR, Felitti VJ, Dong M, Giles WH, Anda RF. The Impact of Adverse Childhood Experiences on Health Problems: Evidence from Four Birth Cohorts Dating Back to 1900. Preventive Medicine. 2003; 37: 268-77.
26. Edwards VJ, Holden GW, Felitti VJ, Anda RF. Relationship between multiple forms of childhood maltreatment and adult mental health in community respondents: results from the adverse childhood experiences study. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2003; 160: 1453-60.
27. Dong M, Dube SR, Felitti VJ, Giles WH, Anda RF. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Self-reported Liver Disease: New Insights into a Causal Pathway. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2003; 163: 1949-1956.
28. Felitti VJ. Ursprünge des Suchtverhaltens – Evidenzen aus einer Studie zu belastenden Kindheitserfahrungen. Praxis der Kinderpsychologie und Kinderpsychiatrie, 2003; 52: 547-559.
29. Edwards, VJ, Anda, RF, Felitti, VJ, & Dube, SR. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Health-Related Quality of Life as an Adult. in K. Kendall-Tackett (ed.) (2004). Health Consequences of Abuse in the Family. Washington, DC. American Psychological Association.
30. Hillis SD, Anda RF, Dube SR, Felitti VJ, Marchbanks PA, Marks JS. The Association Between Adolescent Pregnancy, Long-Term Psychosocial Outcomes, and Fetal Death. Pediatrics. 2004; 113: 320-7.
31. Anda RF, Fleisher VI, Felitti VJ, Edwards VJ, Whitfield CL, Dube SR, Williamson DF. Childhood Abuse, Household Dysfunction and Indicators of Impaired Worker Performance in Adulthood. The Permanente Journal. 2004; 8: 30-38.
32. Dong M, Anda R, Felitti V, Williamson D, Dube S, Giles W. Impact of residential mobility during childhood on health in adults: The hidden role in Adverse Childhood Experiences. Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: S80.
33. Dong M, Dube SR, Felitti VJ, Giles WH, Anda RF Adverse Childhood Experiences and Self-reported Liver Disease: New Insights into a Causal Pathway. Arch Intern Med. 2004; 164(4): author reply 460-1.
34. Dube SR, Williamson DF, Thompson T, Felitti VJ, Anda RF. Assessing the Reliability of Retrospective Reports of Adverse Childhood Experiences among Adult HMO Members Attending a Primary Care Clinic. Child Abuse and Neglect. 2004; 28:729-737.
35. Dong M, Anda RF, Felitti, VJ, Dube SR, Williamson DF, Thompson TJ, Loo CM. Giles WH. The Interrelatedness of Multiple Forms of Childhood Abuse, Neglect, and Household Dysfunction. Child Abuse and Neglect. 2004; 28(7), 771-784.
36. Dong M, Giles WH, Felitti VJ, Dube, SR, Williams JE, Chapman DP, Anda RF. Insights into causal pathways for ischemic heart disease: Adverse Childhood Experiences Study. Circulation. 2004; 110:1761-1766.
37. Chapman DP, Whitfield CL, Felitti VJ, Dube SR, Edwards J, Anda RF. Adverse Childhood Experiences and the Risk of Depressive Disorders in Adulthood. J of Affective Disorders. 2004; 82: 217-225.
38. Edwards VJ, Anda RF, Dube SR, Dong M, Chapman DF, Felitti VJ. The wide-ranging health consequences of adverse childhood experiences. Chapter 8 in: K Kendall-Tackett and S Giacomoni, eds. Victimization of Children and Youth: Patterns of Abuse, Response Strategies. Kingston, NJ; Civic Research Institute. 2005.
39. Dube SR, Anda RF, Whitfield, CL, Brown DW, Felitti VJ, Dong M, Giles WH. Long-Term Consequences of Childhood Sexual Abuse by Gender of Victim. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2005; 28: 430-438.
40. Whitfield CL, Dube SR, Felitti VJ, Anda RF. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Subsequent Hallucinations. Child Abuse & Neglect. 2005; 29(7) 797-810.
41. Anda RF, Felitti VJ, Walker J, Whitfield, CL, Bremner JD, Perry BD, Dube SR, Giles WH. The Enduring Effects of Abuse and Related Adverse Experiences in Childhood: A Convergence of Evidence from Neurobiology and Epidemiology. European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience. 2006; 256:174-86 (E-pub: 2005; Nov 29).
42. Dong M, Anda RF, Felitti VJ, Williamson DF, Dube SR, Brown DW, Giles WH. Childhood residential mobility and multiple health risks during adolescence and adulthood: the hidden role of adverse childhood experiences. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 2005; 159(12): 1104-10.
43. The Adverse Childhood Experiences CDC website. http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/ACE/index.htm
44. Brown DW, Young KE, Anda RF, Felitti VJ, Giles WH. Asthma and the Risk of Lung Cancer. Findings from the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study. Cancer, Causes, Control. 2006; 17(3): 349-50.
45. Dube SR, Miller JW, Brown DW, Giles WH, Felitti VJ, Dong M, Anda RF. Adverse Childhood Experiences and the Association with Ever Using Alcohol and Initiating Alcohol Use During Adolescence. Journal of Adolescent Health, 2006; 38(4):444.e1-444.e10.
46. Anda RF, Felitti VJ, Brown DW, Chapman D, Dong M, Dube SR, Edwards VJ, Giles WH. (2006) Insights into Intimate Partner Violence from the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study. In PR Salber and E Taliaferro, eds. The Physician's Guide to Intimate Partner Violence and Abuse, Volcano, CA: Volcano Press; 2006.
47. Edwards VJ, Anda RF, Gu D, Dube SR, Felitti VJ. Adverse childhood experiences and smoking persistence in adults with smoking-related symptoms and illness. The Permanente Journal 2007; 11: 5-13.
48. Brown DW, Anda RF, Felitti VJ. Self-Reported Information and Pharmacy Claims Were Comparable for Lipid-Lowering Medication Exposure. J Clin Epidemiol. 2007; 60: 525–529.
49. Anda RF, Brown DW, Felitti VJ, Bremner JD, Dube SR, Giles WH. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Rates of Prescribed Psychotropic Medications in Adulthood. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2007; 32(5): 389–394.
50. Felitti VJ, Fink PJ, Fishkin RE, Anda RF. Epidemiologic Support of Psychoanalytic Concepts: Evidence from the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study of Childhood Trauma and Violence. Trauma und Gewalt, 2007; 2: 18-32.
51. Chapman DP, Dube SR, Anda RF. Adverse childhood events as risk factors for negative mental health outcomes. Psych Annals. 2007; 37(5): 359-364.
52. Edwards VJ, Dube SR, Felitti VJ, Anda RF. It's OK to ask about past abuse. Am Psychol. 2007; 62: 327-8; discussion 330-332.
53. Brown DW, Anda RF, Edwards VJ, Felitti VJ, Dube SR, Giles WH. Adverse childhood experiences and childhood autobiographical memory disturbance. Child Abuse Negl. 2007; 31: 961-9.
54. Brown DW, Anda RF, Felitti VJ. Self-Reported Information and Pharmacy Claims Were Comparable for Lipid-Lowering Medication Exposure. J Clin Epidemiol. 2007; 60: 525–529.
55. Anda RF, Brown DW. Root Causes and organic budgeting: funding health from conception to the grave. Ped. Health 2007; 1:141-143.
56. Anda RF, Brown DW, Dube SR, Bremner JD, Felitti VJ, Giles WH. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases in Adults. Am J Prev Med. 2008; 34: 396-403. BMC Public Health. 2008; 8: 198.
58. Corso, PS, Edwards, VJ, Fang, X, Mercy, JA. Health-related quality of life among adults who experienced maltreatment during childhood. Am J Public Health. 2008; 98:1094-1100.
59. Brown DW, Anda RF, Edwards VJ, Felitti VJ, Dube SR, Giles WH. Adverse childhood experiences and childhood autobiographical memory disturbance. Child Abuse Negl 2008; 3: 961-9.
60. Read J, Fink PJ, Rudegeair T, Felitti VJ, Whitﬁeld CL. Child Maltreatment and Psychosis: A Return to a Genuinely Integrated Bio-Psycho-Social Model. Clinical Schizophrenia & Related Psychoses. 2008; 2: 235-254. http://clinicalschizophrenia.metapress.com/content/148057m258735177/?p=78ec709d5b334f8180f12679838c665c&pi=4
61. Robinson R, Davis J, Krueger M, Gore K, Freed M, Kuesters P, Dube S, Engel C. Acceptability of Adverse Childhood Experiences Questions for Health Surveillance in U.S. Armed Forces. Military Medicine, 2008; 173: 853-859.
62. Felitti V. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Adult Health (Editorial). Academic Pediatrics, 2009; 9: 131-132.
63. Anda RF, Dong M, Brown DW, Felitti VJ, Giles WH, Perry GS, Edwards VJ, Dube SR. The relationship of adverse childhood experiences to a history of premature death of family members. BMC Public Health 2009; 9:106.
64. Dube SR, Fairweather D, Pearson WS, Felitti VJ, Anda RF, Croft JB. Cumulative childhood stress and autoimmune disease in Adults. Psychosomatic Med. 2009; 71: 243-250.
65. Brown DW, Anda RA, Tiemeier H, Felitti VJ, Edwards VJ, Croft JB, Giles WH. Adverse Childhood Experiences and the Risk of Premature Mortality. Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 389-396.
66. Brown DW, Anda RF. Adverse childhood experiences: origins of behaviors that sustain the HIV epidemic. AIDS. 2009; 23:2231-3.
67. Brown DW, Anda RA, Felitti VJ, Edwards VJ, Malarcher AM, Croft JB, Giles WH. Adverse childhood experiences are associated with the risk of lung cancer: a prospective cohort study. BMC Public Health 2010; 10: 20-32. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/10/20.
68. Felitti VJ, Anda RF. The Relationship of Adverse Childhood Experiences to Adult Health, Well-being, Social Function, and Health Care. Chapter 8 in The Effects of Early Life Trauma on Health and Disease: the Hidden Epidemic; Editors: Lanius R, Vermetten E, Pain C. Cambridge University Press. 2010
69. Hillis SD, Anda RF, Dube SR, Felitti VJ, Marchbanks PA, Macaluso M, Marks JS. The Protective Effect of Family Strengths in Childhood against Adolescent Pregnancy and Its Long-Term Psychosocial Consequences. Permanente Journal 2010; 14: 18-27.
70. Anda RF, Tietjen G, Schulman E, Felitti VJ, Croft J. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Frequent Headaches in Adults. Headache 2010; 50: 1473-1481.
71. Anda RF, Butchart A, Felitti VJ, Brown DW. Building a Framework for Global Surveillance of the Public Health Implications of Adverse Childhood Experiences. Am J Prev Med 2010; 39: 93–98.
72. Bynum L, Griffin T, Wynkoop KS, Anda RF, et al. Adverse Childhood Experiences Reported by Adults - Five States, 2009. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 2010. 59:1609-1613.
73. Chapman DP, Wheaton AG, Anda RF, Croft JB, Edwards VJ, Liu Y, Sturgis SL, Perry GS. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Sleep Disturbances in Adults. Sleep Medicine 2011; 12: 773–779.
75. Larkin H, Felitti VJ, Anda RF. Social work and Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Research: implications for practice and health policy. Social Work in Public Health. 2011. Also online: http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/whsp20
76. Nadine J. Burke,a Julia L. Hellman,a Brandon G. Scott,b Carl F. Weems,b and Victor G. Carrionc. The impact of adverse childhood experiences on an urban pediatric population. Child Abuse Negl. Jun 2011; 35(6): 408–413.
77. Edwards VJ, Freyd JJ, Dube SR, Anda RF, Felitti VJ. Health outcomes by closeness of sexual abuse perpetrator: A test of Betrayal Trauma Theory. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma 2012; 21:133–148.
78. Larkin H, Shields JJ, Anda RF. The health and social consequences of adverse childhood experiences (ACE) across the lifespan: an introduction to prevention and intervention in the community. J Prev Interv Community. 2012; 40(4): 263-70.
79. Strine TW, Edwards VJ, Dube SR, Wagenfeld M, Dhingra S, Prehn AW, Rasmussen S, McKnight-Eily L, Croft JB. The mediating sex-specific effect of psychological distress on the relationship between adverse childhood experiences and current smoking among adults. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2012 Jul 13; 7: 30.
80. Strine TW, Dube SR, Edwards VJ, Prehn AW, Rasmussen S, Wagenfeld M, Dhingra S, Croft JB. Associations between adverse childhood experiences, psychological distress, and adult alcohol problems. Am J Health Behav. 2012 Mar; 36(3): 408-23.
81. Felitti VJ. Childhood Trauma Linked to Chronic Diseases in Adulthood. Cancer In-Cytes 2013; Vol. 2, Issue 1. www.CancerInCytes.org
82. Reavis JA, Looman J, Franco KA, Rojas B. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Adult Criminality: How Long Must We Live Before We Possess Our Own Lives? The Permanente Journal. 2013; 17: 44-48.
83. Felitti VJ, Anda RF. The Lifelong Effects of Adverse Childhood Experiences. Chapter 10 in Chadwick’s Child Maltreatment (3 vols). STM Learning. 2014.
1. Edwards VJ, Holden GW, Anda RF, Dube SR, Felitti VJ. Relations between family dysfunction, corporal punishment, and negative health effects in adulthood.
2. Dhingra SS., Dube SR, Edwards VJ, Felitti VJ, Anda RF. Adult Psychosocial Functioning: Mediators between Adverse Childhood Experiences and Health-Related Quality of Life.
Cavalcade Productions in Nevada City, California has produced three documentary videos about the ACE Study, along with a Training Manual. They are for sale and described at their web site, www.cavalcadeproductions.com
DVD/CDs of ACE Study presentation
A detailed 4-hour presentation and discussion of ACE Study findings has been created by the Academy on Violence and Abuse and may be ordered at www.avahealth.org
The AVA has a 3 minute, 8 minute, and a 15 minute Preview of the DVD available on its website for viewing and free downloading. The AVA also offers an institutional license that allows an institution to offer all of the DVD’s content to those with access to their institution’s intranet.
Other presentations are available at:
A 13-minute video abstract may be seen at: www.avahealth.org
A set of radio interviews about the ACE Study is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRaNwIdrKuc&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=B3F2CF45EEB95C80 and at http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2011/12/13/all-in-the-family/. In the upper left portion of the web site is the sign-in phrase to check: “Listen to All in the Family”
Blogs have been created to share information and opinions about the ACE Study:
ACEsTooHigh.com -- news site about ACEs research and implementation of trauma-informed practices.
ACEsConnection.com -- social network for people who are implementing ACE- and trauma-informed practices.
A general interest web site is at www.ACEStudy.org
A general-audiences book about the ACEs is being written by the experienced journalist, Jane E. Stevens, founder and publisher of ACEs Connection Network.
AVA Affinity Groups are groups of AVA members who share a common interest and who wish to communicate and work together to advance knowledge and education about that topic. Take a look.
Watch our Featured Videos! AVA has many Informational and Educational Videos. Find out more.
AVA Research Reviews provide AVA members with recent published, peer-reviewed articles in a broad array of violence and abuse topics. Read more.